STEM School Designations
About the STEM School Designation Program
The Utah STEM Schools Designation program was developed to define the criteria and elements necessary for a school to create a comprehensive STEM learning environment for their students. The STEM School Designation program will allow schools to engage in discussions with faculty and community partners around STEM education as a lens for strong instruction for students to prepare them for college and career readiness. The designation also serves as an indicator for members of the public who are looking for STEM school experiences in Utah K-12 education. Schools that have identified a passion for STEM education will benefit from the opportunity for both reflection and recognition through this program.
In order to support local initiatives that are attempting to meet the requirements of STEM education in Utah, the Utah Legislature is supporting the designation of STEM schools. Utah Code 63M-1-3204 states in part that:
“The STEM Action Center as funding allows shall: work cooperatively with the State Board of Education to designate schools as STEM schools, where the schools have agreed to adopt a plan of STEM implementation in alignment with criteria set by the State Board of Education and the board;”
As of MARCH 2023, 37 schools have received STEM school designation
How to Apply
Requirements for program applicants eligibility include:
- Being a current public school in the state of Utah that serves the K-12 student population
- Existence and service to a student population for at least the two previous school years (This is required so the schools can provide evidence of implementation of the elements as required in the portfolio)
- Implementation standards-based instruction aligned to the Utah Core Standards as central to instruction
- Completion of the intent to apply form by the stated deadline
Check out important dates for the application process.
- Intent to Apply due: October 6, 2023
- Full Portfolio Due: January 12, 2024
- Portfolio Review: January 30-February 2, 2024*
- Site Visits for Schools Seeking Gold or Platinum STEM School Designation: February 2024
- Presented to Utah State Board of Education for Approval: April/May 2024
- Awards Ceremony: STEM Best Practices, June 2024
*If you would like to sign up to participate as a reviewer and ARE NOT applying for designation this year, fill out the reviewer form.
For more information on how to apply, view our application documents, forms, and resources.
Collaboration & Program Development Manager