About the STEM School Designation program
The Utah STEM Schools Designation program was developed to define the criteria and elements necessary for a school to create a comprehensive STEM learning environment for their students. The STEM schools designation program will allow schools to engage in discussions with faculty and community partners around STEM education as a lens for strong instruction for students to prepare them for college and career readiness. The designation also serves as an indicator for members of the public who are looking for STEM school experiences in Utah K-12 education. Schools that have identified a passion for STEM education will benefit from the opportunity for both reflection and recognition through this program.
In order to support local initiatives that are attempting to meet the requirements of STEM education in Utah, the Utah Legislature is supporting designation of STEM schools. Utah Code 63M-1-3204 states in part that:
“The STEM Action Center as funding allows shall: work cooperatively with the State Board of Education to designate schools as STEM schools, where the schools have agreed to adopt a plan of STEM implementation in alignment with criteria set by the State Board of Education and the board;”
52 schools have received STEM school designation
- Be a current public school in the state of Utah that serves the K-12 student population
- Have been in existence and serving a student population for at least the two previous school years. (This is required so the schools can provide evidence of implementation of the elements as required in the portfolio)
- Implement standards-based instruction aligned to the Utah Core Standards as central to instruction.
- Complete the eligibility questions by the intended deadline indicating intent to apply.
Important documents for applicants
- Eligibility Questions/Intent to Apply: October 11, 2019
- Application Webinars:
- Overview: Early October, date forthcoming
- video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16XEpPEWagmL5kh75KSRnQKcxVLc-P25D/view
- Dimensions 1&2: Mid-October, date forthcoming
- Dimensions 3&4: Early November, date forthcoming
- Dimensions 5&6: Mid-November, date forthcoming
- Dimensions 7&8: End of November, date forthcoming
- Dimensions 9&10: Mid-December, date forthcoming
- Final Questions: First week of January 2020
- Full Portfolio Due: January 10, 2020
- Portfolio Review: January 27-31, 2020 If you would like to sign up to participate as a reviewer for the 19-20 school year, fill out this form.
- Site Visits for Schools Seeking Gold or Platinum STEM School Designation: February 2020
- Presented to Utah State Board of Education for Approval: April/May 2020
- Awards Ceremony: During STEM Best Practices Conference in June 2020
Please note: all application documents must be uploaded to this site for consideration.