STEM Competition Grant
The STEM Competition Grant is designed to support Utah students, grades K-12, participating in STEM competitions throughout the state and replaces the previous Fairs, Camp, and Competitions Grant. This grant is available for Utah educators and administrators to apply for funding to improve student understanding and learning experiences in the subjects of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
Educators and administrators from Utah public school entities can apply on behalf of the students benefitting from the grant. Awards will be sent and made out to the district Private entities are not eligible. Each school is allowed ONE school-wide application.
Grant requests may vary, with a maximum award of $5,000. Maximum funding amounts will be determined based on the number of students participating. Program costs cannot exceed an average amount of $100.00 per student.
Allowable Uses of Funding
- Registration fees*
- Student supplies
- Travel to and from event within the state of Utah
*NOTE: Applicants should not include expenses for higher-level competitions (national or world competitions) in their budget.
Non-Allowable Uses of Funding
T-shirts or other apparel
Meals and food
Items used for decoration
Teacher stipends or salaries
Printers, laptops and other hardware not required for competition
Team building activities (i.e. visits to a local children’s museum)
The following are recognized as approved STEM Competitions*:
- Science fairs
- Academic Decathlon
- FIRST programming
- Mountain West Grand Prix/Greenpower USA
- REC Foundation's Aerial Drone Competition
- VEX Robotics
- BYU Engineering Hunt for the Hologram Particle
*If you do not see your competition on this list, please contact Lynn Reichert at Lreichert@utah.gov for prior approval.
Applicants and grant recipients must attend to all deadlines. No late applications or paperwork will be accepted.
Dates to know:
- Application opens for submissions: August 1 of every year
- Applications are due: September 30 of every year
- Applicants notified of outcome: October 30 of every year
- Signed agreement and invoice uploaded: No later than December 31 of every year
- Receipts uploaded: No later than May 15 of every year
- Follow-up report due: No later than May 15 of every year
Community and Innovation Manager